Friday, October 9, 2009

1968 Vietnam - My Lai Massacre


March 16, 1968 Vietnam – My Lai Massacre was initiated by a unit of the U.S. Army. This (My Lai massacre) was the mass murder of 347 to 504 unarmed citizens in South Vietnam, all of whom were civilians and a majority of whom were women, children, and elderly people.
Many of the victims were sexually abused, beaten, tortured, and some of the bodies were found mutilated. The massacre took place in the hamlets of Mỹ Lai and My Khe of Sơn Mỹ village during the Vietnam War. While 26 US soldiers were initially charged with criminal offenses for their actions at My Lai, only William Calley was convicted. He served only three years of an original life sentence, while on house arrest.
When the incident became public knowledge in 1969, it prompted widespread outrage around the world. The massacre also reduced U.S. support at home for the Vietnam War. Three U.S. servicemen who made an effort to halt the massacre and protect the wounded were denounced by U.S. Congressmen, received hate mail, death threats and mutilated animals on their doorsteps. Only 30 years after the event were their efforts honored.
The massacre is also known as the Sơn Mỹ Massacre (Vietnamese: thảm sát Sơn Mỹ) or sometimes as the Song My Massacre. The U.S. military codeword for the hamlet was Pinkville.

"I would say that most people in our company didn't consider the Vietnamese human." —Dennis Bunning,


1 comment:

  1. Wasn't there also a movie made about this some time ago? If not, I think I remember seeing it mentioned in one of the popular war movies I've seen. I just don't remember which one.

    ReplyDelete